Sunday, May 20

Endangered Species

In my living room, I am in the middle of a group of people dressed in academic clothing who file slowly forward, talking excitedly amongst themselves as they approach the front. The thing we are waiting to see, I find out, is some newly discovered, extremely rare creature. As I get to the front my neighbor tells me it is actually the last in existence, and we will be the only generation to have seen and documented it. It will probably die without its natural habitat.

I am confused at first when I do not see an animal in front of me. I then realize the focus of the academics' attention is the boy with a shaggy haircut and stooped posture. I walk forward and take his hand, looking him in the eye and saying, "It's nice to meet you." He replies quitely, "It's nice to meet you too." He looks completely normal, and I am not at all convinced that this person is not human. I examine his features closely, looking to see how he is different from us. His extremely alert expression and the sense of fear I get from his sudden eye movements give it away. He has been trained to interact in civilized company, but his mind is clearly designed for a more wild setting. I feel sad that he will die here.

No comments: