Tuesday, April 3

Old Flames

Ian has a large European nose and a paltry grade point average. The former is true in "reality" and the latter is objectionable, that is, if you are Ian. The two of us are running together in my backyard, suddenly the size of Ravenna park, with small landslides and a profusion of smokey cobwebs. We talk of many things, mainly about why he and I should not date, but for my part, "the lady doth protest to much" and Ian kept giving me that wry smile which said, "take this as a joke or seriously, I'm content to flirt." Kiri was dancing with a group of Japanese foreign exchange students in the distance, and we both wanted to meet them but Ian kept exclaiming, "When will I see you again!?" In reply to which I would look at him all quizzical-warm-like and say, "When will you be coming back?" I was writing a book, he was gallivanting about. We met again on a wrought iron spiral staircase.

No comments: