Wednesday, June 13

Sandwich-Making Competition

Kathryn, Kellen, some other friends, and I leave Ms. L.H.'s classroom in Shorewood and walk down the hallway, heading over to someone's house for a graduation party. Along the way we pass a long line of students, probably Juniors, waiting to get their photos taken. As we pass by the office, I hear, "Jenny, come take photos with me!" It is my special friend, and he smiles and pleads with his eyes. I make the sorry face, but he grabs me by the hand and we run down the hallway towards the bathrooms, laughing. We stop and stare at each other, laughing. His pupils keep dilating, and finally I get a flash of reality and ask, "Are you high?" He laughs and says, "Why, are you?" and I say, "No, but are you?"

Eventually I make it past all the sorority girls crowding Steven's Way and into the auditorium. It is filled with long tables, all facing towards the front stage. At each table there are teams of five people sitting in a row, wearing matching polo shirts and visors. I find my team and sit down to the left of Roderick. We are in a sandwich making competition. Suddenly it has started and I am presented with bowls of tomato wedges. My job is to add the cottage cheese. We have five minutes to make as many sandwiches as possible to the judges' standards. For some reason, though, the first person in our line gets up and leaves, halting the process. I try to take over and salvage their work, but find that they have actually been doing a terrible job, and we are out of tomatoes. As a judge passes by, I wonder why anyone would even put cottage cheese on top of tomatoes anyway. I always eat my tomatoes off the top of the cottage cheese.
I think we are disqualified in the end because we didn't actually make sandwiches, and I am not disappointed because it was a silly competition anyway.

No comments: