Thursday, October 11

Unwanted Haircut

Walking down the street in a slightly older, rundown, semi-industrial residential area, I come across a storefront that draws me in when I see some clothing I recognize as my sister and Maresa's designs in the window. Curious, I go in to ask where they got the clothes from, as my sister has been in South Africa and not making clothes for months. Once inside, I see that it is a very hip hair salon with white painted brick walls, furniture made out of crates and such. I start to ask where they got the Red Llama clothing, but one girl comes up and starts touching my hair, without speaking suggesting that I must sit through a consultation before I get any answers. This is fine with me, I was thinking about getting my hair cut anyway, but she ignores me when I try to tell her what I am looking for, and begins to tell me what I should do with it. I tell her that I actually want to go back to the salon I went to before, because I like the girl who cut my hair at Vain, but when I look in the mirror again, she has already finished cutting and stying my hair.
It is longer than the hair I came in with, and I have funny bangs, but it is well done, and I know I look effortlessly hip. Certainly, I am very happy to have gotten an awesome haircut, it's just not what I wanted. It's too stylishly frumpy 80's for my taste . I tell the girl repeatedly how nice it is, avoiding her question of whether I like it, and try to press on to my original question of where they got the clothing. Nothing I say gets through.
The girl who cut my hair tells the receptionist to give me a reduced rate. I see the receptionist write down $30 on a receipt. I get excited, but then the stylist continues, "Let's say, one-third off, so $150. I laugh at her, in a way that says, "I see right through your plan, but I'll go along because I was stupid enough to get trapped into this". But as soon as the stylist turns around the receptionist changes it to $50, with an $11 tip. This is extremely generous, I feel, since we both know the haircut should only have cost $30. I pay anyway and leave, trying to like my new, very nice haircut.
Outside I find myself on Delridge Way, near the Cooper School.

No comments: