Wednesday, October 17

Guilt and Rats

The transition from sunny, sandy beach to the gloom of this sewer messes with my eyes. Once I have adjusted to the dark, I find myself crawling through at least six inches of liquid refuse. Around me are thousands of cranes, glaring at me for intruding on their last sanctuary. I understand that if I want to save their dying population, I must locate the source of parasites and disease into the sewers.
I crawl around some sort of buttress and begin to clamber up a metal ladder. Upon reaching the top, I find myself face to face with a very large rat. He must be the reason the cranes are all dying! I snatch up a book and try to smash the rat, but it scampers deftly away. I pause and open the book. On the back cover there is a picture of the very same rat - I realize that this rat was previously a well-renowned author. Upon becoming a rat his books no longer sold, and he banished himself to this sewer. Still, I must eliminate him. I chase it around the narrow upper lip of the sewer, where it meets ground level and there is a long, low window. Glancing out, I see a mob of people, who seem to be incensed at me. It seems they think that I am responsible for the death of the hamster. The rat suddenly becomes very vicious, and turns to bite me. Dodging, I slip off the ledge and begin to fall towards the slime that is crane poop and general death. I flip open the book and begin to read, knowing it will slow my descent. As I am hurtling towards my doom, my parents and sister appear from a spiral staircase and begin to chastise me for killing the hamster. I tell them it wasn't me, it was this fucking rat! It appears from the wall and begins to charge towards me. My family doesn't believe it is evil and does nothing to intercept it. By this point I am somewhat frantically irritated. My alarm wakes me and I find myself extremely pissed off at rats in general, for putting all the blame on me and then trying to kill me.

No comments: